Foxen Canyon raptors

Dave Compton

Following up a month after Peter Schneekloth and then Nick Lethaby reported on the raptor show along Foxen Canyon Rd, I had a very similar experience with raptors in the area. I started by birding Zaca Station Rd, then birded Foxen Canyon from Zaca Station Rd to the area east of Sisquoc. Overall, I had to rely on finding perched birds, as it was overcast all morning and into the early afternoon, when I knocked for the day.

As Peter mentioned back on December 13, most of the activity on Foxen Canyon Rd was focused in one area a bit west of Alisos Canyon Rd. I had particular success at this location:

34.790248, -120.179528

Here, I found 1 juv Golden Eagle, 1 subadult Bald Eagle, 6 Red-tailed Hawks, and 4 (!) Ferruginous Hawks (including 1 dark morph).

Overall, from the intersection with Zaca Station Rd north and northwest to where Foxen Canyon Rd takes a hard left where it comes to the Sisquoc Valley, I had very similar numbers to what Nick reported on December 15:

Golden Eagle - 4 (2 adults, 1 juv, 1 ad/subadult)
Bald Eagle - 1 (subadult)
Red-tailed Hawk - 34
Ferruginous Hawk - 6
American Kestrel - 18
Prairie Falcon - 1

Prior to this, on Zaca Station Rd from 101 to Foxen Canyon Rd, I had:

Golden Eagle - 1 (probably an adult)
Red-tailed Hawk - 6
Ferruginous Hawk - 1
American Kestrel - 1