almost certain gray-headed junco in Vandenberg Village

Don Tate

I tot I taw a gray-headed junco Saturday morning out my bathroom window in S-C Vandenberg Village,  then consulted Sibley and immediately flopped back into bed. Awoke later with less than crystal-clear recollections. Night owls will understand. Blackish eye mask, gray cowl, all-yellow bill, burnt orange back but not wings. I'm 96.87% sure I remember seeing all these features, rather than confounding Sibley's artwork with the bird later. I certainly remember which illustration I matched the bird to. Just tiny niggling doubts, thus the reporting delay. Have been throwing small-grained bird seed out since Sunday, hoping to get a photo next weekend. Villagers may wish to watch their feeders.

Don Tate