Probable Pine Warbler in Santa Maria

Jamie Chavez

Chasers of rarities,

A dog walk around the small Rod Rodenberger Park in Santa Maria produced what I am 99% sure was a PINE WARBLER. There is a stretch of Canary Island pines and some other exotic pines or firs on a berm separating Rodenberger Park from Miramonte North (immediately to the south of Rodenberger) at 34.909056, -120.430348. This is where I happened upon a largish warbler that showed a long tail looking slightly forked, it had a pale yellowish wash across the upper breast, no breast streaking, a slightly brighter yellowish face, broken eye-ring with a darkish line through the eye and a robust bill. I did not notice wing bars but I was concentrating on other things when I just as quickly lost it. For the very brief moment I saw it it was sluggishly feeding deep in some needles and moved in the open for just a second where I blurted out "Pine Warbler" and then it moved off and I could not find it. It is quite breezy up here today so it is difficult to see movement in these trees, but this is "good" Pine Warbler habitat for a wintering bird as there are several Canary Island pines around the ball fields here, although I'm surprised I haven't noticed it before as we walk the dog here almost every weekend (me with binoculars in hand). It is not a  terribly birdy park but this might entice others to look for it. Too many activities to try for it today but I will return w/camera and keep looking when I can.

--
Jamie Chavez
Santa Maria, CA

--