Calliope Hummer

Hugh Ranson

I've been checking out bottlebrush trees and bushes this week, mostly on Portesuello near La Cumbre Junior High in SB. I've hoped for a Calliope but have seen nothing but Rufous, up to 15-20 at a time, and a couple of Anna's. I haven't seen a definite Allen's; all the tail shots I've managed of females have belonged to Rufous.

This afternoon I checked out the lovely Arroyo Burro Open Space at the end of Alan Road (near Hendry's Beach). I only saw one hummer, and it was a male Calliope feeding on wild radish flowers.

Hugh Ranson