Miscellaneous birding

Florence Sanchez

I checked a few local spots this morning to see if I could pick up on recent reports.

First, I walked east along Atascadero Creek, starting on the end or Walnut Drive.  There was a good amount of activity in the riparian vegetation along the creek, including Chestnut-backed Chickadees, Yellow Warblers, Common Yellowthroats, Black-headed Grosbeaks, Hooded Oriole, and a few Western Tanagers (these in a large Eucalyptus about 100 yards from the starting point).  I had a Green Heron fly overhead, heading upstream.  I continued upstream to the wooden bike bridge.  In a past year, I found Green Herons roosting in the vegetation at this location, but not this today.  No sign of Blue-winged Teal in the creek.

Next stop was the dune pond, where I looked for Yellow-headed Blackbirds.  None found.  On the way back, I watch a White-tailed kite hunt over a meadow, then land in the top of bare tree next to a young (rusty) Kite that was calling.  At the Venoco bridge, there was a Clark's Grebe just upstream.

Final stop was Area K, where I again searched diligently for a Gallinule but I couldn't turn one up. Others found Gallinule hear yesterday when I missed it, so it doesn't mean it's gone--just that I am a bad searcher!  One each male Shoveler and Cinnamon Teal still present.