Re: American Redstart

Florence Sanchez

I looked for the American Redstart this morning, starting at about 7:30 a.m. without any success.  The section of the Creek indicated on the eBird map was really dead this morning.  I walked upstream as far as I could along the maintained path but did not see or hear it there.  At Cortuna Road, I found a singing Warbling Vireo and a very active Yellow Warbler as well as a few common birds.

I didn't post at the time, but last Friday I hiked a little of the Sweetwater trail that begins at the Bradley Dam observation point parking lot.  It was a very pleasant hike on an overcast morning.  Most of the birds found were expected oak woodland species, but I also heard a singing Cassin's Vireo in a group of coast live oaks about a half mile along the trail.  A family of wild Turkeys with 8 good-sized chicks was a pleasant surprise.

Clarkia display along the trail was still very nice, with both types found.  I didn't turn up a Mariposa Lily, but in with the Clarkias I found a few plants of Blue Larkspur, Delphinium parryi.

Florence Sanchez

On Sunday, May 31, 2020, 09:38:28 AM PDT, Thomas Turner <habarimbu@...> wrote:

I had another immature male American Redstart today, on Tecolotito creek. Singing. It was along the riparian edge closer to the parking lot of the business park, about here: 34.434890, -119.863226.

Tom Turner

Isla Vista