Northern Parula

Steven Gaulin

I went to look for this bird this morning and am pretty confident I was at the right location (a large partially broken sycamore arching over Alisal Road just a mile E. of the entrance to Nojoqui Falls Park). I did not see the bird but I heard a N. Parula singing just occasionally perhaps 60-70 m S. of the road on fenced and posted private property. There was lots of activity at this location--Ash-throated Flycatchers, Purple Finches, many vocalizing Pac-slope Flycatchers, Yellow Warblers, Oak Titmice, and House Wrens, several Violet-green Swallows, and one Common Raven--but after an hour and fifteen minutes I went to look for Purple Martins at Nojoqui. The martins were easy to find (flying high over the meadows), as were more Yellow Warblers, Purple Finches, and a family of W. Bluebirds with three spotted fledglings. After half an hour at the Park, I went back to the Parula spot hoping for better luck. I heard it sing just once in ten minutes, even farther off the road than before. Bottom line: The bird is still there but may have shifted its activity to a less accessible area. It's a lovely spot though, with relatively little traffic.

Steven Gaulin