UCSB Beaches

Florence Sanchez

Shorebirds still don't seem to be using these beaches yet.  Conditions about 6;30 this morning were just about ideal for them, but no takers on either the east-facing or west-facing beaches.  (Further west on the Isla Vista Beach, there was a flock of 6 large birds that were probably Long-billed Curlew, but they were just about out of binocular range.)

In the Lagoon near the Faculty Club, I found 2 Breeding plumaged Greater-Yellowlegs, 4 Black-necked Stilts, and a Kildeer.  Two small Sandpipers flew off when one of the Yellowlegs took flight while screeching.  I couldn't get a look at them but the Zhreet call would indicate Least Sandpipers.

Back to Sands Beach and Oocean Beach . . .