South coast birding, Saturday, 11 July

Dave Compton

I walked about 100 meters upstream and downstream of the Bates Rd bridge in Rincon Creek this morning. Lovely walk, and you can more or less keep your feet dry without rubber boots, at least where I walked. I observed only 3 Chestnut-backed Chickadees, but they're both upstream and downstream and using both the SB and Ventura sides of the creek. I also had two singing Swainson's Thrushes, one near the bridge and one upstream. At least one of the uncommon south coast breeding species is hanging on here (or three, if you count Warbling Vireo and Western Wood-Pewee).

Early afternoon, I was at Goleta Beach, where one 3Y (about 2 years old) Yellow-crowned Night-Heron continues, as seen from the bike path. I did not see a Cattle Egret. Also, no Neotropic Cormorant at Devereux. Just a handful of peeps here.