Fw: Sora in Santa Monica Creek, Carpinteria

Tom Beland

Hi All,

This Sunday morning around 10:30 Laurel and I were birding at the Carpinteria Salt Marsh Nature Park.  We walked towards Santa Monica Creek and after crossing Sandy Land Cove Road we saw a Mallard chasing a Sora at the end of the cemented part of the creek. We watched the Sora jump into a drain pipe in the cement wall, then jump out and it swam to the shore with the Mallard in pursuit. The Sora foraged on land on the north edge of the creek near the cement wall. We watched for approximately 10 minutes and it was still there when we left. I have a photo of the Sora in eBird.

Tom Beland
Carpinteria, CA