The most elegant of terns: Refugio State Beach

Steven Gaulin

I birded the S. end of Refugio Road and Refugio State Beach this AM. The creek crossings were dead, though a Merlin flew through, and the lerpy Eucs in the State Park produced only common warblers. The "ghostly Empid" put it cameo appearances at the N. end of the lagoon, but not sufficient to evaluate its specific status. What most caught my attention was the very pinkish breasts of the 8 Elegant Terns on the beach (along with 2 adult and 2 immature Royal Terns showing no such hue). I know this blush is well known but it was as intense as I've ever seen it in these birds. A friend had a camera and perhaps photos will follow.

Steven Gaulin