Cachuma birds

Mark Holmgren

In an attempt to find inland shorebirds, I birded the two best mudflat areas on the south side of Cachuma Lake and the oxbows on the Santa Ynez River where it meets the lake.  At all spots, Killdeer and Spotted Sandpipers are regularly seen.

On 17 Sept, I birded Jackrabbit Flat (see map attached), where I saw very few Least Sandpipers, 2 Long-billed Dowitchers, and a White-faced Ibis.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S73725180

On 19 Sept, the SYR at the east end of the lake produced no shorebirds despite extensive muddy river margins.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S73778929

Storke Flat is difficult to get to even by boat.  It’s an impossible walk from Jackrabbit Flat.  Here the only shorebird I had was Wilson’s Snipe.  https://ebird.org/checklist/S73792735

But a batch of Brewer’s Sparrows with a couple White-crowned Sparrows, Black-throated Gray and Yellow warblers dropped into the same area.  Interesting birding, but not for shorebirds.

The only species in abundance at Cachuma were the large grebes.  A few fledgling, mostly Western Grebes but some Clark’s, are still begging from adults.

Mark Holmgren

San Marcos Pass