[eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert <daily>

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Curlew Sandpiper (18 reports)
- Least Bittern (1 report)
- Hammond's Flycatcher (2 reports)
- Orchard Oriole (1 report)
- Summer Tanager (1 report)

Curlew Sandpiper (Calidris ferruginea) (1)
- Reported Sep 20, 2020 07:10 by Linda Frazier
- Coal Oil Point, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4053588,-119.8465607&ll=34.4053588,-119.8465607
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing bird at this location. Curlew Sandpiper traveling with Sanderlings."

Curlew Sandpiper (Calidris ferruginea) (1)
- Reported Sep 20, 2020 06:50 by Kris Ohlenkamp
- Goleta Beach County Park (including east end of Goleta Slough), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4171771,-119.829812&ll=34.4171771,-119.829812
- Media: 9 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing bird seen with the large flock of Sanderlings in the cove near the West end of the campus lagoon at 7:55AM in light fog. Relatively long black legs, relatively long down-ward curved black bill, distinct white eye-brow, mostly clear white underparts with some gray on sides of the chest. Photos."

Curlew Sandpiper (Calidris ferruginea) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 18, 2020 11:30 by Betsy Mooney
- Goleta Beach County Park, West, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4149563,-119.8373052&ll=34.4149563,-119.8373052
- Media: 6 Photos
- Comments: "Medium-sized wading bird foraging among Sanderlings; dark brown dorsal feathers with white breast, white eye stripe, dark slightly down-curved bill, white rump patch shows in flight."

Curlew Sandpiper (Calidris ferruginea) (1)
- Reported Sep 20, 2020 09:55 by Joel French
- UCSB--East beach (formerly Goleta Bay West beach), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4101847,-119.8419678&ll=34.4101847,-119.8419678
- Comments: "Running with sanderlings"

Curlew Sandpiper (Calidris ferruginea) (1)
- Reported Sep 20, 2020 09:41 by Tom Beland
- UCSB--East beach (formerly Goleta Bay West beach), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4101847,-119.8419678&ll=34.4101847,-119.8419678
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing- Seen at UCSB East beach foraging with a flock of Sanderlings. Watched it for 10 to 15 minutes."

Curlew Sandpiper (Calidris ferruginea) (1)
- Reported Sep 20, 2020 09:41 by Laurel S Luby
- UCSB--East beach (formerly Goleta Bay West beach), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4101847,-119.8419678&ll=34.4101847,-119.8419678
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing- Seen at UCSB East beach foraging with a flock of Sanderlings. Watched it for 10 to 15 minutes."

Curlew Sandpiper (Calidris ferruginea) (1)
- Reported Sep 20, 2020 07:00 by Chris Dean
- UCSB--East beach (formerly Goleta Bay West beach), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4101847,-119.8419678&ll=34.4101847,-119.8419678
- Comments: "Continuing juvenile. Seen west of Goleta Point near where the lagoon trail connects to beach in flock of Sanderlings. Later seen northeast of parking 6 steps. Slightly larger than Sanderlings, pale supercilium, eyeline, darkish crown, medium-long decurved bill, scaly back, light brownish wash on breast, white rump seen when bird flew. Photos."

Curlew Sandpiper (Calidris ferruginea) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 19, 2020 15:45 by Jim Moore
- UCSB--East beach (formerly Goleta Bay West beach), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4101847,-119.8419678&ll=34.4101847,-119.8419678
- Media: 7 Photos
- Comments: "Seen 1/4 mile east of the bridge at Parking lot 6 associating with a large group of Sanderlings. A slim bird about the same height as the Sanderlings but much less bulky. It was much browner overall with a strong supercilium and a strongly decurved bill."

Curlew Sandpiper (Calidris ferruginea) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 19, 2020 15:18 by Tom Benson
- UCSB--East beach (formerly Goleta Bay West beach), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4101847,-119.8419678&ll=34.4101847,-119.8419678
- Comments: "Continuing juvenile 300 meters north of Lot 6 stairs."

Curlew Sandpiper (Calidris ferruginea) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 19, 2020 15:04 by Sammy Cowell
- UCSB--East beach (formerly Goleta Bay West beach), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4101847,-119.8419678&ll=34.4101847,-119.8419678
- Media: 8 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing bird. When I first got there, some birders said they hadn't seen it on the beach. Decided to walk along the bluff first. As I was walking along there, a big flock of Sanderlings flew in. Found the CUSA from the bluff. Walked down to the beach for better pics. About 1000 ft. NE from the stairs. Several other birders there. Long, decurved bill. White supercilium. Completely white rump. Larger than Dunlin w/ longer legs. Some very slight orangeish coloring around the neck."

Curlew Sandpiper (Calidris ferruginea) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 19, 2020 12:30 by Michael Allen
- UCSB--East beach (formerly Goleta Bay West beach), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4101847,-119.8419678&ll=34.4101847,-119.8419678
- Comments: "On going bird seen and recorded by many birders. Was originally seen at the steps below parking lot 6 but was flushed. Refound down the coast almost all the way to Goleta beach."

Curlew Sandpiper (Calidris ferruginea) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 19, 2020 10:29 by Bobby T
- UCSB--East beach (formerly Goleta Bay West beach), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4101847,-119.8419678&ll=34.4101847,-119.8419678
- Media: 7 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing bird flying along the beach between gps (34.4103615, -119.8418719) and (34.4134503, -119.8401463). The bird was overall more gray brown and slightly larger than the sanderlings and black turnstone it was with. It had an overall longer and thinner profile with seemingly longer black legs. The head had a bright white supercilium and chin which transitioned to a pale gray down the throat, and a had pale gray lores and cheek. The droopy downward curving bill was roughly twice the size of the length of the head and slightly thinner at the tip than the base. The back was gray and scalloped which got darker towards the primaries. The belly and under tail coverts were white and in flight the white rump was visible. Resembled a miniature whimbrel. Photos and YouTube video link will be uploaded tonight or tomorrow morning."

Curlew Sandpiper (Calidris ferruginea) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 19, 2020 10:02 by Mike Huang
- UCSB--East beach (formerly Goleta Bay West beach), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4101847,-119.8419678&ll=34.4101847,-119.8419678
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing north of stair. 34.41431 -119.83880"

Curlew Sandpiper (Calidris ferruginea) (1)
- Reported Sep 19, 2020 09:40 by Spencer Seale
- UCSB--East beach (formerly Goleta Bay West beach), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4101847,-119.8419678&ll=34.4101847,-119.8419678
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing. Found with Sanderling flock. Clean-looking juvenile bird, scaly back, dark legs, distinct supercilium, and decurved bill."

Curlew Sandpiper (Calidris ferruginea) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 19, 2020 09:00 by Tom Boucher
- UCSB--East beach (formerly Goleta Bay West beach), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4101847,-119.8419678&ll=34.4101847,-119.8419678
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing bird; seen by at least 10 birders on site. 200 yards NE of the stairs (going toward Goleta Beach). Hanging with Sanderlings."

Curlew Sandpiper (Calidris ferruginea) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 19, 2020 09:00 by Lucy London
- UCSB--East beach (formerly Goleta Bay West beach), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4101847,-119.8419678&ll=34.4101847,-119.8419678
- Comments: "Saw the bird with a group of 7+ birders, others came later. First seen around halfway from Goleta to the stairs, but then flushed and landed right by the foot of the stairs. Got a couple good looks, enough to see downcurved bill. Was found in a mixed foraging flock, mostly associating with sanderlings. Right before I left it flushed, with obvious white rump, brownish color, and longer pointed wings than sanderlings it was with. I didn’t get many good photos, but others did."

Curlew Sandpiper (Calidris ferruginea) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 19, 2020 08:55 by Susanne Meyer
- UCSB--East beach (formerly Goleta Bay West beach), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4101847,-119.8419678&ll=34.4101847,-119.8419678
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Medium sized shorebird with curved-down bill. Seen by many others here. Photo attached"

Curlew Sandpiper (Calidris ferruginea) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 18, 2020 14:30 by Curtis Marantz
- University of California, Santa Barbara, Sands Beach, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4100192,-119.8813723&ll=34.4100192,-119.8813723
- Media: 9 Photos
- Comments: "(I relocated the continuing sandpiper among a flock of Sanderlings at roughly the mouth of Devereaux Slough at 2:42 pm, after which I spent an extended period of time with this bird before departing at 4:50 pm leaving it sleeping on the beach with the Snowy Plover flock (though losing it between 3:23 pm and 3:50 pm when the birds flew west down the beach); my description is way too long to fit into the space provided, but my views were quite good and I took many photos of a bird that I saw at distances down to about eight meters)"

Least Bittern (Ixobrychus exilis) (1)
- Reported Sep 19, 2020 17:18 by Linus Blomqvist
- La Cumbre Country Club, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4320095,-119.7586155&ll=34.4320095,-119.7586155
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Tiny heron perched in reeds, smaller than nearby black-crowned night-herons. Warm brown on back (or at least wings, I saw it only from the side or facing me), light underparts, brown stripes on white on throat, and a black cap. Elongated neck, bittern-style. Will put up photos shortly."

Hammond's Flycatcher (Empidonax hammondii) (1)
- Reported Sep 20, 2020 06:41 by Rob Denholtz
- CA, Carpinteria, Carpinteria Creek & Beach, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.3927456,-119.5175171&ll=34.3927456,-119.5175171
- Comments: "grayer than Pac-slope...darker bill, esp.mandible . . . thin, round eye-ring vs. almond-shaped"

Hammond's Flycatcher (Empidonax hammondii) (1)
- Reported Sep 20, 2020 08:00 by Ron Hirst
- Carpinteria Creek, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.3930006,-119.5140259&ll=34.3930006,-119.5140259
- Comments: "smallish empid, flycatching low in willow and to ground, eye ring with slight teardrop, grayish underneath with throat matching gray, lighter belly, 2 wing bars upper one small, bill roundish with bottom 2/3 to tip darkish orange. Often, and vigorous, tail flicks upward. Sharp pip sound when I alarmed it and it flew away."

Orchard Oriole (Icterus spurius) (1)
- Reported Sep 19, 2020 11:26 by Spencer Seale
- UC Santa Barbara--Campus Lagoon, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4076516,-119.845165&ll=34.4076516,-119.845165
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Following hooded oriole around fig tree across from the lot 6 parking lot. Smaller in size compared to hooded with smaller tail."

Summer Tanager (Piranga rubra) (1)
- Reported Sep 20, 2020 07:40 by Jamie Chavez
- Jim May Park (fmr River Oaks Park), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9747532,-120.4258633&ll=34.9747532,-120.4258633
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing male Summer Tanager at Jim May Park reported by Sarah Toner and Larry Chen on Sep 18. I found this bird high in the eucalyptus trees at the north end of the concrete spillway between the two ponds with a couple of Western Tanagers and warblers. It then flew north across the street into the adjacent neighborhood. I later found it in the eucalyptus trees at the south end of the spillway, and it moved to the Lemon-scented Gum eucalyptus next to the freeway by the maintenace shed. The bird was a large passerine being entirely red in color but appearing dark in shadows. It was non-vocal"