Upper Santa Ynez

Bradley Hacker

This AM I drove to the east end of E Camino Cielo at Romero Saddle--plenty of Common Poorwills on the way--where the USFS gate is still closed. I rode my bike down the dirt road to the S Ynez River crossing west of Jameson Lake and looked pretty hard for 2:45 hr, hoping there might be something interesting. There were no interesting birds, but I did see the largest bear I've ever seen in the county. Bear tracks everywhere, so if bearspotting excites you, this might be a good spot. ebird list

The USFS still has the multi-year-old post on their website that the dirt road from Romero Saddle to the S Ynez River is closed to winter storm damage, but my vision is apparently really bad because no storm damage was evident to me. Would be nice to get vehicle access to this area again.
--
Brad Hacker
Goleta

--