Carpinteria Creek Grasshopper Sparrow

John Callender

While walking the Carpinteria Creek creekbed this morning I flushed a small sparrow from the side of the creek near the north end of the wastewater treatment plant. The bird flew into the vegetation on the west bank of the creek and when I got it in my binoculars I was surprised to see that it was a Grasshopper Sparrow. I tried and failed to get a photo; my autofocus kept focusing on the intervening branches and a few seconds later the bird flew across the creek and I lost it.

A short while later, though, as I walked south along the concrete embankment next to the treatment plant, the bird reappeared, first in the creekbed and then flying up onto the embankment, where I had a chance to get some photos.

eBird list with photos here:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S74958903

John Callender
Carpinteria