seawatch/weekend birds #bigday

Peter Gaede

SB Cobirders,

Today from Goleta Point, Wes and I counted around 500 Sooty Shearwaters
migrating north between 4-5pm. Loon migration overall appears to be tapering
off, but a few Red-throateds are still passing by and Pacifics are moving
through regularly but in smaller groups. A few Brant are also still being
seen. At about 5pm, a very vocal BLACK OYSTERCATCHER flew past the point,
heading east.

This past Sunday (May 5), Wes Fritz, Mark Peterson, Jeff Davis and I birded
Santa Barbara County. We totaled 162 species for the day. Highlights were
finding most of our targeted breeding birds as well as a few unexpected
lingering individuals. The three main areas that we visited were Figueroa
Mountain, the North Coast near Lompoc, and the Santa Barbara area. A few of
our highlights were:

North County: 7 AMERICAN WHITE PELICANS at Ocean Beach County Park and an
AMERICAN PIPIT in the Ag. Fields just west of Lompoc on West Ocean Ave
(getting late for these two). BLUE GROSBEAK and LAWRENCE'S GOLDFINCH were
found along Sweeney Rd. east of Lompoc. 5+ PURPLE MARTINS were flying over
Alisal Rd. just east of Nojoqui Falls County Park.

Figueroa Mountain Area: Birding here was excellent at sunrise for both
migrants and breeding birds. The most productive spot was the small dirt
road leading up to the Lookout Station from the Pino Alto picnic area. Here
we found RED CROSSBILL, LAWRENCE'S GOLDFINCH, RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET and all 3
nuthatches. A single HERMIT THRUSH was at Figueroa Campground. At the upper
stretches of Happy Canyon Rd., a female CALIOPE HUMMINGBIRD was visiting red
penstemon flowers alongside the roadside, and we heard a COMMON POORWILL in
this area earlier that morning.

Santa Barbara: At the harbor we found a first-summer MEW GULL and a imm.
BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKE among the concentrations of gulls, terns and skimmers
on the beach near the intersection of Cabrillo and Anacapa Streets. Also
near the harbor, three WANDERING TATTLERS were foraging at the edge of the
surf adjacent the jetty.

Peter Gaede