Los Carneros pond at noon

Florence Sanchez <sanchez@...>

I visited the pond at Los Carneros and Mesa Roads at lunchtime today. I
found at least 8 Cinnamon Teal (in pairs!) and two immature or female
Buffleheads still present, along with Mallards and a brood of Mallard
ducklings; Great-tailed Grackles and Red-winged Blackbirds, but no
Yellow-headed; Coots but no Moorhen; Cliff and Rough-winged Swallows; a
White-tailed Kite overhead and a Belted Kingfisher, but no shorebirds.
The shallow pond across the road had a Great Egret and Mallards, but not
much else. I also walked along the bluffs over the dry Area K
overlook. The drainage channel has plenty of water and the reeds along
its sides hosted at least a half-dozen roosting Black-crowned Night
Herons. Of greater interest were two male Gadwalls swimming in the
channel. About three weeks ago, there was a pair (male and female)
present, and I wonder if the duck is sitting on eggs somewhere in the
viciinity? Worth watching for ducklings in the weeks ahead.