Re: Northern Waterthrush continues at Carpinteria Creek

Dave Compton

Hi John,

Looks like there was a gap of almost two weeks between my September report and the next one by Noah Arthur, and that's based on a check of both eBird and SB Co Birding. That's a decent gap for a place as well birded as Carp Creek in fall, and where we have many times had multiple waterthrushes in the same season, including occasionally more than one at a time. So, I'm inclined to consider those two different birds.

There's a 15 day gap between sightings on 11 and 26 October, then a gap of 12 days before your report. This species is less expected by mid-October, and I tend to think of these gaps as potentially indicative of reduced coverage (maybe I say that because I stopped birding here this fall by October 10). But who knows?

I tend to think a safe bet is to assume there was one bird here briefly in September and another bird has been present since 8 October (Noah's first observation). But only the bird knows for sure. . . . Actually, he can't read a calendar, so he probably doesn't know, either.

On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 10:51 AM John Callender <jbc@...> wrote:
I heard, and then briefly saw, what I assume is the continuing Northern Waterthrush along Carpinteria Creek south of Sixth Street, on the east bank of the creek opposite the wastewater treatment plant. Do people think it's likely this is the same bird seen by Dave Compton back on September 26 and then seen repeatedly by Noah Arthur and others during October? Bad photos in the eBird list below:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S76083946

John Callender
Carpinteria