Tricolored Heron at Goleta Beach

Karen Bridgers

I saw the Tricolored Heron from about 1:15 to 2:15. When I first arrived, I
couldn't find it, but it eventually flew out from behind the caretaker's
house and foraged along the east side of the channel that leads back to the
bridge. Then it rounded the corner and was probably working toward
Atascadero Creek. In a few minutes, it flew back out and started foraging on
the west side of the channel.

Note that this is a small, dark bird, which can be easily missed if it's
standing in the mud.

According to Lehman's book, this would be the first South Coast record since
1981.

Karen Bridgers
kbridgers@msn.com