E. Pinery Road - Northern Pygmy Owl

Peter Schneekloth

I took a walk out E Pinery Road, Figueroa Mountain, in hopes of some Fox Sparrows and whatever winter montane visitors might be around. Much of the walk was very quiet but I stirred up some activity at the parking area including a Red-breasted Nuthatch, Mountain Chickadee and two Townsends Warblers. Well down the trail I was searching for Fox Sparrows, found a few, and also had a visit from a Northern Pygmy Owl. The Fox Sparrows whet crazy when it showed up, many more present than I would have estimated. Looks at both the Owl and an agitated Fox Sparrow looking right at the Owl here:

 https://www.flickr.com/photos/55934026@N05/50625582738/in/dateposted-public/

Peter Schneekloth
Buellton