Harris Hawk

Jeff Lawton

I’m pretty sure I spotted a Harris Hawk here in west Santa Barbara on Friday 20 Nov at 3PM.  I saw him twice, maybe a juvenal based on size.  First time, I saw a large crow chasing a bird that was about the same size.   I thought that was odd, but could tell the chase-ee flew like a hawk.   Later I heard some hawk calls, so I got out the glasses and spotted a small hawk with stunning red shoulders (above and below) and a very bright white band on the tail.  In flight, the red wasn’t rusty, it was RED!  Saw the red shoulders and white tail in flight twice, but was never close enough to see anything else.  All observations were from at least 50 meters to 250 meters.

Jeff Lawton