Subj:[sbcobirding] Tricolored Heron
Date:5/12/02 4:20:57 PM Pacific Daylight Time
From:<A HREF="mailto:urrf@hotmail.com">urrf@hotmail.com</A>
To:<A HREF="mailto:sbcobirding@yahoogroups.com">sbcobirding@yahoogroups.com</A>
Sent from the Internet

Thanks for finding the Tricolored Heron, Ron! I saw the bird at 3:20 pm. It

was not visible from Goleta Beach, so I walked the bike path east. I found

the bird in San Pedro Creek. This is the creek that joins Atascadero Creek
just to the north of the pipes that cross Atascadero when viewed from
Goleta
beach. I viewed the bird as it walked north and out of sight. I then drove
along Fairview, past the airport, and saw the bird in the same channel,
still walking north, from the bridge at Fairview and Fowler. This is just
east of airport long-term parking. I don't think it would continue north as

it would soon run out of water!

The bird looked, in my distant views, more like Sibley's painting of an
adult nonbreeding bird: yellowish legs, lots of yellow around the eye,
white
up the center of the neck.

~ ~ ~

Regards, Ron Hirst