Re: Andree Clark Bird Refuge, 26 November

Dave Compton

Nick may be right that this is the bird that has wintered in Goleta. But note that there were no reports of a Cinnamon Teal x Northern Shoveler last winter. Also, the bird in Teale's photo looks considerably paler than the Goleta bird looked in person, and that it looked in any photo I pulled up in a quick search of eBird.

On Thu, Nov 26, 2020 at 12:53 PM Nick Lethaby <nlethaby@...> wrote:
The hybrid is a returning bird that typically winters in Goleta. However there is no habitat there right now. Agreed on the chat.

Nick Lethaby, Goleta, CA

On Thu, Nov 26, 2020, 12:48 PM Teale Fristoe <fristoe@...> wrote:
I also visited the Andree Clark Bird Refuge this morning looking for the Swamp Sparrow. I didn't have luck with that bird, but I did have a couple of other noteworthy sightings.

First was a hybrid duck, I believe Northern Shoveler X Cinnamon Teal. This bird was pretty obvious south of one of the islands in the middle of the lake. I'm not sure if this bird is already known or not.

Second was what I believe was a Yellow-breasted Chat. I saw this bird from the eastern end of the fence in the southwest corner of the lake. It was in the trees across the lake around 34.4215353,-119.6572856. I caught a few glimpses as it mostly stayed in the foliage, but could clearly see a bright yellow throat and breast contrasting with a white belly and dull upperparts. At one point I could see that it had some white on the face around the eyes. I thought it might have been a Northern Parula, Magnolia Warbler, or some other warbler I'm not very familiar with, but I did end up getting a couple of terrible photos that show a long tail and no wing bars, so I'm reasonably confident that it's a chat.

Maybe I'll get that elusive Swamp Sparrow next time!

ebird list with some photos: https://ebird.org/checklist/S76714133

Happy Thanksgiving,
Teale Fristoe
Visiting from Berkeley

On Thu, Nov 26, 2020 at 10:56 AM Dave Compton <davcompton60@...> wrote:
The Swamp Sparrow was in the usual area at the southwest corner of the bird refuge this morning, but not terribly cooperative. It stayed close to road, and my best (and still poor looks) were at the edge of the bulrushes by the grassy lawn, where it occasionally just showed itself. When on the other side of the channel, it remained close to Cabrillo, in an area with some mud flats, but never in the open. It called occasionally.

Walking along Cabrillo from this area, I was able to see one Tropical Kingbird in the middle island and a male Northern Pintail far to the east, near the parking area. Shovelers were the most common duck followed by Ruddy Duck and Green-winged Teal.