no go on Lesser Balck-backed Gull

Florence Sanchez

I spent a lot of time at Lompoc Middle School this morning trying to tease out the LBB from about 2 dozen gulls on the gymnasium roof.  At one point, about half of the gulls came down to the athletic field to drink from the pools on the track, and I was able to find other gulls besides Western among them: 2 ring-billed, 2 immature Glaucous-winged, and an adult Herring Gull.  Eventually the gulls dispersed in small groups, some towards the dump, others toward downtown.  I rechecked throughout the morning, but only a few Westerns showed up.  No signs of gulls on Bailey Road.

Other areas were very slow this morning.  The estuary at Ocean Beach is very full but had few waterfowl.  The diminutive Brant is still hanging around and I saw a couple of Grebe do a display.  The sand berm is holding against the ferocious surf, but is very wet indicating it is getting overrun.  Nonetheless, there was a nice assortment of small shorebirds on the wet sand: Semi-palmated and Snowy Plovers, Least Sandpipers, 1 Western Sandpiper, 2 Dunlin, and Black-bellied Plovers.

Miguelito Canyon Park where I ate lunch was very quiet, the only exception being a flock of about 25 Pine Siskins that flew off from the vicinity of the host's feeder.