Re: LLC White Pelican

Dave Compton

Hi Linus,

It's hard to say about returning Summer Tanagers at Lake Los Carneros, because we've had so many here over the years, including multiple birds in some winters. We have a similar situation with Tropical Kingbird at certain spots, like Campus Lagoon, the bird refuge, and NCOS.

The best example of this conundrum I can think of is Paul Rosso's White-throated Sparrows on the south side of Lompoc. For a while, it seemed like he must've had a single bird returning year after year. But once he passed the 20 year mark of having a wintering White-throated, and then had as many as three in a winter, it was clear we would never know how many years any one bird came back. I believe he eventually reached 25 consecutive years.

Dave

On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 9:29 AM Linus Blomqvist <linus.blomqvist@...> wrote:
Adding to that, the continuing female Summer Tanager was foraging actively in the trees just west of Stow House around 8.45. I've only seen one report of it from this winter but it's presumably the bird seen last winter and years before?

Linus Blomqvist

On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 8:18 AM Robert Lindsay <thisisroblindsay@...> wrote:
There were 5 American White Pelican on Lake Los Carneros this morning at 7:45.

Rob Lindsay