Gaviota to El Cap

Nick Lethaby

All,

This morning I checked out the coast from Gaviota to El Capitan including stops at Canada San Onofre and the Arroyo Honda Vista Point. Gaviota was the best spot. I watched from the cliff top just W of the pier. I had a Red-necked Grebe off here, which was easily the highlight of the day, and my only RB Merganser. I was surprised to see 41 RT Loons off here, as this species tends to be less common on this stretch.

Overall, there were many more Western Grebes along this section compared to earlier in the winter with over 700 off El Cap. I had 1-4 Horned Grebes at each stop along with small numbers of RT and Common Loons and Surf Scoters. Pacific Loons were less common than normal with juet 3 at one stop. I had a Parastiic Jaeger chasing the Royal Terns at one point.

Regards,

--
Nick Lethaby
Goleta, CA