Re: N. Coast estuaries

Hugh Ranson <zonetail@...>

How easy was the Streak-backed, and did you get good looks?

Hugh

On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 05:47 PM, Nick Lethaby <nlethaby@...> wrote:
All,

For various reasons I have been up in N. county a lot the last week (today's reason was that I was chasing some of the rarities in SLO - saw three birds that would have been county birds in SBA .... grrrr). As a result, I have checked the SMRE 3 times and checked the SYRE today.

The SM (Santa Maria) RE blew out but is already blocked. It may blow out again as the water level is rising. I have had a pretty disappointing time with gulls there, with just a few Herring, a couple of GWGUs on one visit, and a Bonaparte's today. It seems the more interesting gulls prefer the beach by the carpark. There are lots of shorebirds still using the mudflats (although these are largely gone today) and ducks include a dozen Canvasbacks.

The SY (Santa Ynez) RE is tidal with some water left in the side ponds. There was a decent gull flock on the beach at the river mouth that included a couple of Herring and a Thayer's. There were 2 Greater Scaup off the parking lot and lots of Sanderling and BB Plovers on the flats. There are 4 Canvasbacks here as well.

--
Nick Lethaby
Goleta, CA

Mobile: 805 284 6200