Re: Yellow-breasted Chat, White-throated Sparrow in Montecito

Wim van Dam

Thanks for bringing this up Joan. A few weeks ago several of the Pine Siskins at my Solvang feeder died because of salmonella. I also had an American Goldfinch that seemed to be infected. Obviously I took my feeders down as a result. I wonder how widespread this problem is in our county this winter.

Wim

On Fri, Feb 19, 2021 at 6:15 PM Joan Lentz (cox.net address) <joanlentz@...> wrote:
Hi All:
I had the wintering Chat and a White-throated Sparrow ( been around a couple of days ) at my pond today.
When I looked closely at the chat, I saw what appears to be some sort of disfiguration to its bill.
This reminds me that I saw a disturbing post online about an outbreak of salmonella at feeders in the Central Coast area, in SF area, and in the Sierra Nevada.  It seems that Pine Siskins are especially affected, but I don’t feed siskins so am thinking this may be more widespread.
They’re suggesting we take down our seed feeders for awhile, clean them, and let this outbreak die down. https://cdfgnews.wordpress.com/2021/02/08/salmonellosis-outbreak-causing-songbird-deaths/
Very upsetting!

Good birding!
Joan Lentz