Goleta Beach, Saturday, July 3

Dave Compton

Two Yellow-crowned Night-Herons (an adult and a year-old bird) and a male Bufflehead continued at Goleta Beach County Park this morning. It's worth noting that the adult night-heron was roosting in Myoporum WEST of the park entrance, rather than the usual roosting area to the east. Also, while this species has become pretty regular in our area, it's also worth noting that it's typically absent from about late April to mid or late July. So the presence of these birds over the past few weeks is out of the ordinary, at least based on past records. The status of this species is forever changing in our area, so maybe this will become a regular occurrence as well.