Re: Yellow-headed Blackbird

Florence Sanchez

Dear Dave,

I assume you are referring to the "Tri-colored Blackbird" mentioned in some posts and not the Yellow-headed Blackbird?

Florence

On Wednesday, July 21, 2021, 09:21:48 AM PDT, Dave Compton <davcompton60@...> wrote:

Hi Dika and everyone,

The blackbird in the photo, and in several other photos posted to eBird there yesterday, is a Red-winged Blackbird. The yellow on males often fades considerably this time of year.

On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 1:39 PM Dika Golovatchoff <digolov@...> wrote:
I arrived at Goleta Beach just as Florence Sanchez was leaving. Her summary was much more complete than mine.  Likewise I did not find the Reddish Egret reported yesterday but did get closer up views of the Yellow-headed Blackbird, which for me is a "life bird." (First posted this morning by David Blue.)  I was surprised to find Mike Bush there - a very good friend of mine who had come down from Los Osos (SLO county).

The Yellow-headed Blackbird was very active among the Red-winged Blackbirds and what I also believe was a Tri-colored Blackbird.  Also some of what appeared to be Brown-headed Cowbirds.  A brilliant male (showing white wing bars)  came quite close to me.  Some photos at:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/digolov/