Buellton - Minor oddities, Osprey and American Goldfinch

Peter Schneekloth

This morning I had a Osprey drifting just north of town. Seemed to be slowly moving E paralleling the river but about a mile N of it.

On July 24 I had an American Goldfinch stop briefly at my feeders. Lehman's The Birds of Santa Barbara County has the birds as rare or absent in the interior in summer and states the following: "In contrast, summer records in District I are relatively few, and it is likely that some reports at this season are inaccurate, as many observers do not appreciate the scarcity of this species in summer inland." ID photo of the July 24 bird at my feeder here: American Goldfinch | peterschneekloth | Flickr

Peter Schneekloth
Buellton