[eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert <daily>

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Solitary Sandpiper (3 reports)
- Reddish Egret (2 reports)

Solitary Sandpiper (Tringa solitaria) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 07, 2021 07:53 by Mark Holmgren
- Cachuma Lake Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.5739701,-119.9579144&ll=34.5739701,-119.9579144
- Comments: "This bird was found in the northern mudflat in Santa Cruz Bay. Direct comparisons with Spotted Sandpiper were possible. We had seen ample Spotted Sandpipers during this trip; this bird was first detected by its size, larger than SpSa. In-flight it showed no white wing stripe and it’s flight pattern was more like a normal shorebird and not like the distinctive flight of spotted sandpiper. Gray back with white spots. Face showed bold white eyering with some white that I think was above the eye but not posterior to the eye. Wash of brown completely crossed the breast. Belly white. Holmgren heard no calls."

Solitary Sandpiper (Tringa solitaria) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 07, 2021 07:53 by David Compton
- Cachuma Lake Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.5739701,-119.9579144&ll=34.5739701,-119.9579144
- Comments: "This bird was found in the northern mudflat in Santa Cruz Bay. Direct comparisons with Spotted Sandpiper were possible. We had seen ample Spotted Sandpipers during this trip; this bird was first detected by its size, larger than SpSa. In-flight it showed no white wing stripe and it’s flight pattern was more like a normal shorebird and not like the distinctive flight of spotted sandpiper. Gray back with white spots. Face showed bold white eyering with some white that I think was above the eye but not posterior to the eye. Wash of brown completely crossed the breast. Belly white. Holmgren heard no calls."

Solitary Sandpiper (Tringa solitaria) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 07, 2021 07:53 by Jim Hodgson
- Cachuma Lake Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.5739701,-119.9579144&ll=34.5739701,-119.9579144
- Comments: "This bird was found in the northern mudflat in Santa Cruz Bay. Direct comparisons with Spotted Sandpiper were possible. We had seen ample Spotted Sandpipers during this trip; this bird was first detected by its size, larger than SpSa. In-flight it showed no white wing stripe and it’s flight pattern was more like a normal shorebird and not like the distinctive flight of spotted sandpiper. Gray back with white spots. Face showed bold white eyering with some white that I think was above the eye but not posterior to the eye. Wash of brown completely crossed the breast. Belly white. Holmgren heard no calls."

Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 06, 2021 17:10 by Susanne Meyer
- Goleta Beach County Park (including east end of Goleta Slough), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4171771,-119.829812&ll=34.4171771,-119.829812
- Comments: "Continuing bird feeding in slough across from restaurant"

Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 05, 2021 16:25 by Catherine Webb
- Goleta Beach County Park (including east end of Goleta Slough), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4171771,-119.829812&ll=34.4171771,-119.829812
- Comments: "Egret with reddish brown color. Slightly bigger than CAGU nearby."