SYRE Common Terns, etc.

Dave Compton

Since this species has become so hard to come by, I thought it was important to let people know that I saw two late first summer Common Terns at Ocean Park with Elegant and Royal Terns on the west side of the railroad bridge. Least Terns seem to have cleared out, so these were the smallest terns around, and with their obvious black carpal bars and partial black cap, they stood out pretty well. There were also a lot of large shorebirds at the mouth, mostly Long--billed Curlews with about a dozen Marbled Godwits and a couple of Whimbrels. A flock of Black-bellied Plovers (~25) and Short-billed Dowitchers (6) flew out of a hidden area on the north side of mouth, near the bridge. Otherwise, shorebirds were limited to only a handful of peeps (23 Western and only 1 Least that I could pick out through the fog), several Semipalmated Plovers, and several Greater Yellowlegs.

Earlier, I visited Miguelito Park, south of Lompoc. Not a ton of migrants here--two each of Hermit, Townsend's, and Orange-crowned Warbler, one Black-throated Gray, and a Black-headed Grosbeak. The two-plus Chestnut-backed Chickadees I saw hardly seem noteworthy here any more.