Goleta birding Friday, 10 September

Dave Compton

At Winchester One this morning, I found a Virginia's Warbler in the eucalyptus grove, just south of the entrance from the mobile home park. Not a lot of birds here, with Nashville, Yellow, and Orange-crowned Warblers, and a Western Tanager being the only other migrants.

At the Bella Vista Open Space, I saw nothing more interesting than a Hermit Warbler. Also present were a Warbling Vireo, a couple of Western Tanagers, and several Orange-crowned Warblers. A fruiting cherry on the western fence line was attracting a good number of birds. But overall, there weren't many migrants here, either.

Devereux was pretty devoid of birds other than roosting cormorants. The adult Neotropic was around, though. Virtually no shorebirds were present.

At Lake Los Carneros, a Solitary Sandpiper was at the north end of the lake, with a Greater Yellowlegs and some Red-necked Phalaropes. Nothing else of interest. The only teal I saw was a straightforward female Cinnamon next to the dam. But there was a mass of Mallards at the east end of the dam I didn't go through thoroughly.