Goleta birding Sept. 20

Florence Sanchez

I started at the LogMeIn tipus, where I found that birders had already located the Canada Warbler seen over the weekend and a new arrival, a Chestnut-sided Warbler.  We spent some time searching the eucalyptus grove but there was no sign of the Ovenbird found over the weekend.  However, we did pick up the Red-eyed Vireo in the tipu trees around the parking lot north of the eucalyptus grove.  And in addition, we had up to 3 Warbling Vireos in a small Mexican ash tree at the edge of the euc grove.  Of course, there were continuing sightings of other more common birds such as Wilson's Yellow, and range-crowned Warblers throughout the complex.  I suspect the menu may change daily so it's worth rechecking this site.

On thing I did this morning was pour about 5 gallons of water in the little drainage area just next to building 7144.  We found last year that this is a popular bathing spot when it has water in it.  This morning, I pulled in only Song Sparrow, Scaly-breasted Munias, and a Common Yellowthroat, but I still suggest trying this when you go there.  The water doesn't last long so the more dumped in this spot, the better.

I moved on to the nearby end of Coronado Drive.  We've not heard much from this site and I wondered what conditions were like.  I found there is plenty of water in the little bathing area and during the hour I watched, a lot of birds came down to the spot.  Best bird was a Black-throated Gray Warbler, the rest were more common species, but I feel this site definitely has possibilities right now.   Species list:

1 Nuttall's Woodpecker
1Downy Woodpecker
1 Pacific Slope Flycatcher
1 Black Phoebe
1 Warbling Vireo
2 Chestnut-backed Chickadees
1 Oak Titmouse
1 White-breasted Nuthatch
1 Ruby-crowned Kinglet
1Wrentit
3 Scaly-breasted Munia
2 House Finches
1 Song Sparrow
2 Dark-eyed Juncos
1 Orange-crowned Warbler
1 Common Yellowthroat
1 Yellow Warbler
1 Black-throated Gray Warbler
2 Townsend's Warblers
2 Wilson's Warblers
4 Western Tanagers (all at one time)
1 Black-headed Grosbeak

In the vicinity, I also heard a Hairy Woodpecker and a Bewick's Wren.