Re: Saturday 8-hour whale watch on the Condor Express

Florence Sanchez

Folks, I went on this trip a couple of weeks ago and it was a lot of fun.  Weather prevented us from going as far up the channel as Dave describes, but if you can, the birds should be pretty good, and they will all be county birds!  Plus the whale show should be terrific--it was last time.  Can't go this time unfortunately.

Florence Sanchez

On Thursday, September 23, 2021, 10:35:14 PM PDT, David Pereksta <pereksta@...> wrote:

If anyone in the Santa Barbara/Ventura area wants to take advantage of great weather offshore on Saturday, I will be assisting the Condor Express on their 8-hour whale watch as a bird naturalist. It is a whale watch, but we will be looking for birds too and have a chance to see some good ones this time of year. There have been some interesting birds offshore lately and it is a perfect time for southbound pelagic migrants as well as northward dispersers from the south. Could have glassy conditions, which would be perfect for finding Craveri's Murrelets. We have discussed trying to get to the back side of San Miguel and Santa Rosa Islands, which is where we had killer whales and Black-footed Albatrosses last month. Also a potential for other uncommon/rare birds out there. There have been a number of sightings of Red-footed and Nazca Boobies off southern California in the last few weeks so who knows what we might see out there. For county listers, I expect we will be in Santa Barbara waters all day; however, great birds transcend county lines.

You can buy tickets at this link: https://condorexpress.whalewatchreservations.com/cexvouchers/user.php?trip_id=775189

Dave Pereksta
Ventura