Farren Road (non) Woodpeckers

Florence Sanchez

So this morning after running errands, I finally got back to Farren Road for my original purpose for going there yesterday:  To look for woodpeckers in the oaks and pepper trees.  On the way up, I met a group of happy birders who'd just had long looks at the Zone-tailed Hawk found yesterday.

My first stop was the reservoir, where I searched slowly through the pepper and oak trees nearby.  I was hoping for a Sapsucker, but the best I could do was a fly-by Flicker and a Downy Woodpecker in an oak.  I drove up to the roadside row of Pepper trees above the oak woodland, parked, and walked downhill, carefully checking each one.  There was evidence of Sapsucker activity in each tree, but it all appeared to be old.  I finally heard the distinctive tapping of a Sapsucker in the pepper tree that would be the second one on the left side of the road as you drive up.  Try as I could, I could not detect any motion that would put me on the bird.  I even counter-tapped on a broken branch to see if that would jar out the critter.  Finally everything went silent and that was that.  Worth rechecking this spot, probably earlier in the morning than I did today.