Re: Carp creek and LLC Harris' Hawk discussion

Jamie Chavez

Hi Jay,

This is a tough one because Harris's Hawk is no longer a CA Bird Records Committee Review species which means it won't receive any scrutiny other than locally. There are 64 records in the CBRC database with a mix of accepted and several not accepted due to questions of natural occurrence as we might expect. I think if anyone sees this bird they should write copious notes and get as many good quality photos as possible. This would apply to any unusual discovery. Right now there is only one eBird checklist submission for this Harris's Hawk which is sitting in review queue and I'm not sure we know what to do with it yet. If additional sightings come in then we might collect enough information to make an informed review decision as far as eBird is concerned. eBird allows for some latitude to track occurrences that other review authorities might not consider (i.e. Mute Swan is not an officially recognized on the state list but there are many accepted eBird reports).

Jamie M. Chavez
Santa Maria, CA