[eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert <daily>

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Great Crested Flycatcher (3 reports)
- Orchard Oriole (2 reports)
- MacGillivray's Warbler (1 report)

Great Crested Flycatcher (Myiarchus crinitus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Nov 21, 2021 15:53 by Max Laubstein
- Atascadero Creek at Patterson Ave., Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4246166,-119.811059&ll=34.4246166,-119.811059
- Media: 7 Photos
- Comments: "Most likely the same bird found by Mark Holmgren 12 days ago. At approximately 4 pm, we walked down to the creek bed on the little trail at (34.4236920, -119.8148926). At around 4:10 I spotted an odd bird at the top of a willow at (34.4235413, -119.8146921). Better looks revealed a large myiarchus with a far-brighter stomach than an ATFL, incredibly bright rufous primaries, secondaries, and tail, a heavy bill with a pinkish base, median coverts with white tipping forming a white upper wing bar, and inner greater secondary coverts with whitish tips, while the outer greater covers had rufous tips, forming a bicolored lower wing bar. We watched the bird actively feed for quite some time, successfully catching a large green caterpillar. It slowly worked its way east towards (34.4237487, -119.8139699), where we last saw it, before it became inactive for the night and disappeared in the dense willow tangles. We heard it call twice in flights between perches, but I don’t have a recording. The calls were typical of a myiarchus- quite burry, but it was quite hard to study given its reluctance to vocalize."

Great Crested Flycatcher (Myiarchus crinitus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Nov 21, 2021 15:53 by Jeremy Cowan
- Atascadero Creek at Patterson Ave., Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4246166,-119.811059&ll=34.4246166,-119.811059
- Media: 7 Photos
- Comments: "At approximately 4 pm, we walked down to the creek bed on the little trail at (34.4236920, -119.8148926). At around 4:10 I spotted an odd bird at the top of a willow at (34.4235413, -119.8146921). Better looks revealed a large myiarchus with a far-brighter stomach than an ATFL, incredibly bright rufous primaries, secondaries, and tail, a heavy bill with a pinkish base, median coverts with white tipping forming a white upper wing bar, and inner greater secondary coverts with whitish tips, while the outer greater covers had rufous tips, forming a bicolored lower wing bar. We watched the bird actively feed for quite some time, successfully catching a large green caterpillar. It slowly worked its way east towards (34.4237487, -119.8139699), where we last saw it, before it became inactive for the night and disappeared in the dense willow tangles. We heard it call twice in flights between perches, but I don’t have a recording. The calls were typical of a myiarchus- quite burry, but it was quite hard to study given its reluctance to vocalize."

Great Crested Flycatcher (Myiarchus crinitus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Nov 21, 2021 15:53 by Alex Castelein
[...]

Orchard Oriole (Icterus spurius) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Nov 21, 2021 12:30 by Tom Boucher
- Santa Monica Creek, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4070435,-119.5278168&ll=34.4070435,-119.5278168
- Comments: "Adult male. Black hood with dark rust colored belly. De-curved bill. near footbridge, Previously seen at this site."

Orchard Oriole (Icterus spurius) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Nov 21, 2021 08:30 by Dika Golovatchoff
- Santa Monica Creek, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4070435,-119.5278168&ll=34.4070435,-119.5278168
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Perched briefly among cape honeysuckle but always toward back of foliage and bloom. Head black, breast and underparts dark rufous. Continuing rarity, annual visitor at this location."

MacGillivray's Warbler (Geothlypis tolmiei) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Nov 21, 2021 10:01 by David Compton
- 7402 - 7418 Hollister Ave (LogMeIn Tipus), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4303818,-119.8908561&ll=34.4303818,-119.8908561
- Comments: "Continuing male"