Migrant push yesterday

Joan Lentz (cox.net address)

Hi All:
Just to echo Joan Murdoch’s account of migrants in the backyard, the same thing happened to me yesterday afternoon, while the wind was still in evidence. Up to 10 Western Tanagers, several Yellow Warblers, 5 or 6 Black-headed Grosbeaks, a couple of Bullock’s Orioles, a Black-throated Gray Warbler, a Warbling Vireo — all in the space of an hour. If I’d sat there all day would’ve got more. Not sure if you guys are onto the LA county list serve, but there’s a birder living at Gorman who had 3000 tanagers pass through one morning last week. Fascinating. Always during the windy mornings. We’re learning a lot about wind, migration, and all this stuff that is new!

Good birding,
Joan Lentz
Montecito ( a little bit north and inland from the Murdoch’s house)