Coal Oil Point and Sands Beach June 16

Florence Sanchez

I walked the beach here this morning to take advantage of a very low tide.  I found a lot more bird activity here than my visit a week ago, though I think these were all non-breeding, over-summering birds.  My totals were 24 Long-billed Curlews, 2 Whimbrels, 4 Marbled Godwits, 8 Black-bellied Plovers, 12 Semi-palmated Plovers, 1 Kildeer, and multiple Snowy Plovers.  There were 16 Heerman's Gulls on the beach, including 2 adults, one bird getting its white head, and the rest all dark first-year birds.  I counted about a dozen Western Gulls and 3 scruffy California Gulls as well.  Two Royal Terns were resting on the beach.

Last night's high tide washed up against the bluffs and overran the front part of the Snowy Plover enclosure.  Docents were out looking for abandoned nests with eggs that they might possibly be able to save.  I was told that some of the Plovers are now nesting further upstream as a result of the frequent overruns.  This is likely to be a permanent porblem as sea levels continue to rise.