Goleta Beach, Sunday, June 19

Dave Compton

A couple of items of interest from Goleta Beach today:

YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON:
Of minor interest, now, but the single adult and year-old subadult that have been reported recently were both present. For those suggesting the species has been here consistently, we had a period of about 6 weeks when none was reported here, beginning in mid-April. Their disappearance in April is consistent with what we've seen here and in Carpinteria in recent years. Normally, they don't come back until later in the summer, so it's unusual to have them at this time of year. The last eBird report from Carpinteria, incidentally, and the report I know of, was from 1 April.

DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT:
Normally, the rookery at the gas plant, as viewed from the east end of Goleta Beach Park, has lots of larger nestlings at this time of year. But not only did I see no cormorants in the rookery, but I saw Turkey Vultures perching in the trees, including one a cormorant nest, likely having roosted here last night. So what happened to the Goleta Beach cormorant rookery this year? Are there possibly connections with the recent pelican situation, in terms of food supply (assuming food scarcity was behind the pelicans' problems)?  I haven't heard anything about the Summerland colony in a while. Are those birds still nesting?