Stevens Park and Jesusita Trail

Florence Sanchez

I walked up the trial from Stevens Park this morning and found a fair amount of local bird activity.  Especially notable was the number of Pacific-slope Flycatchers still calling along the very dry creek.  Young birds heard or seen included Oak Titmouse, Common Bushtits (BIG multi-family group at one spot), White-breasted Nuthatch, Wrentits, Juncos, Spotted Towhee, and House Finches.  A surprise was getting "buzzed" by  Mallard flying low overhead along the trail.

The bulk of the time, I was in the shady canyon.  There is still evidence of the Jesusita Fire but overall, the vegetation has grown in well.  The trail eventually leaves the canyon and heads up through the chaparral to Inspiration Point, a long and hot hike, but I didn't attempt that portion this morning.  I had no bugs to speak of and trail use by others early this morning was light.  I saw no evidence of Swifts or Swallows underneath the Foothill Road bridge.