More shorebirding

Florence Sanchez

I rechecked the Harbor Breakwater this morning and refound the 3 Wandering Tattlers I reported yesterday.  I didn't walk out on the sandspit but noticed that last night's waves and tides had removed some of the beach.  The embankment from the dry sand by the jetty down to the water is much steeper.  I overheard boatmen talking in the docks and they were already encountering higher waves and expected more wind this afternoon, all courtesy of Hurricane Freddy.  The morning news reported that we would feel its maximum effect on Thursday.  It could get interesting!

My next stop was the Bird Refuge.  Water levels are dropping as evidenced by an increase in the "beach" below the parking area, and the odor.  However, the east end remains underwater and the mud island by the third platform hasn't increased much.  Only Shorebirds here besides the ever-present Stilts were a single Greater Yellowlegs and a Spotted Sandpiper.  Four Black Skimmers were also resting here.

I moved on to Carpinteria, where I checked out shorebirds at the Harbor Seal Rookery and the end of Calle Ocho.  More of the usual large shorebirds  were found (Willets, LB Curlews, and Whimbrels) at both locations, plus BB Plovers and a single Wandering Tattler at the seal rookery.