[eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert <daily>

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Reddish Egret (2 reports)
- Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (4 reports)
- Golden-crowned Sparrow (1 report)

Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 02, 2022 11:30 by Joan Lentz
- Goleta Beach County Park (including east end of Goleta Slough), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4171771,-119.829812&ll=34.4171771,-119.829812
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Young bird present for a couple weeks at least. See photo. Upon our arrival, Reddish Egret was preening on the eastern most sandbar in the lagoon. Finally as the tide changed, it moved west to hang out near the observation platform, where we saw it foraging on our way out."

Reddish Egret (Egretta rufescens) (1)
- Reported Jul 29, 2022 15:25 by Michael I Christie
- Goleta Beach County Park (including east end of Goleta Slough), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4171771,-119.829812&ll=34.4171771,-119.829812
- Comments: "Continuing (molting immature?) foraging in shallow side canal by East parking: bigger than Snowy Egret. very active, 'dancing', wing-shading and foot-probing. I had the notion from illustrations that the bird 'held' the wing-shading position for some time (sit and wait style), but it is a very quick move, usually followed by a stab. Bird caught several small fish. fs."

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 02, 2022 08:03 by Mario Borunda
- Carpinteria Salt Marsh Reserve (restricted access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.3996863,-119.5353699&ll=34.3996863,-119.5353699
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Juvenile. Darker overall than BCNH with heftier, darker bill, longer and more yellow legs. Smaller spots on wings."

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 02, 2022 08:03 by Sangeet Khalsa
- Carpinteria Salt Marsh Reserve (restricted access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.3996863,-119.5353699&ll=34.3996863,-119.5353699
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Juvenile. Darker overall than BCNH with heftier, darker bill, longer and more yellow legs. Smaller spots on wings."

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 02, 2022 08:03 by Rob Denholtz
- Carpinteria Salt Marsh Reserve (restricted access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.3996863,-119.5353699&ll=34.3996863,-119.5353699
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Juvenile. Darker overall than BCNH with heftier, darker bill, longer and more yellow legs. Smaller spots on wings."

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1)
- Reported Jul 29, 2022 15:25 by Michael I Christie
- Goleta Beach County Park (including east end of Goleta Slough), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4171771,-119.829812&ll=34.4171771,-119.829812
- Comments: "Continuing, scruffy adult along shore of west canal/slough. Why do I get the feeling this species is now a permanent resident at this hot spot?"

Golden-crowned Sparrow (Zonotrichia atricapilla) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Aug 02, 2022 11:21 by Andrew Masaitis
- Lake Los Carneros Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.44322,-119.84975&ll=34.44322,-119.84975
- Comments: "Larger brownish sparrow, golden yellow, black and white on the head. Located near 34.44011° N, 119.84789° W. Photo."