Re: Snowy Plovers

Florence Sanchez

I walk these beaches regularly and the birds East of Coal Oil Point just seem to be part of the regular flock, though there may be migrants among them.  For example, I noticed East of Coal Oil Point one of the banded chicks that was raised at the Zoo this year.

 Depending on the time of day, the adults and fledglings seem to move all over the place to feed, and feeding conditions seem to be particularly good east of the point this summer.  Last check of the notice board showed 18  chicks fully fledged so far this year and 10 chicks still growing, with 10 active nests.   Wes, the beach IS open to walkers as long as they stay below the mean high tide line.

Florence Sanchez

On Thursday, August 4, 2022, 11:35:59 AM PDT, Wes Fritz via groups.io <wes-fritz@...> wrote:

If they are migrants, they should open up the beaches.

Wes Fritz
805 895 0685
wes-fritz@...
Solvang CA

On Aug 4, 2022, at 9:40 AM, Thomas Turner <habarimbu@...> wrote:

Hi Brad,

I walk the bluff on the East side a lot, and I usually only see Snowy Plovers there in July and August. I’m guessing they are migrants?

Tom Turner

Goleta

On Aug 4, 2022, at 7:51 AM, Bradley Hacker <bradley.r.hacker@...> wrote:

Today I was surprised to see that about a third of the Snowy Plovers I saw around Coal Oil Point were on east side of the point. I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many away from their protected area west of the point.

I saw two young chicks sheltering against their parents.

--
Good birding,

Bradley Hacker
Goleta CA