Goleta Slough Yellow-crowned Night Herons

Mark Bright

There have been many reports of Yellow-crowned Night Herons at Goleta Slough seen either from the viewing platform, behind the ranger's residence or the entry road/bridge as you enter the park. Today I saw two adult Yellow-crowned Night Herons further west from usual locations. Taking the bike path west from the park parking lot there is a bike path that follows the arm of the slough west and then goes under the elevated Ward Memorial Blvd, soon after there is a bike and walking only bridge that crosses over the slough arm and heads north to the airport and Fairview. From that bike bridge there was an adult YCNH west of the bridge about 50 feet (I had seen him here a couple weeks ago as well) and another YCNH adult was east of the bridge about 150 feet. So, if you are looking for Yellow-crowned Night Herons and don't find them in the usual spots you might try this location.

Mark Bright