Cachuma Lake today

Mark Holmgren

A very fine morning birding at Lake Cachuma. On the east end on Arrowhead Island, a pair of immature Golden Eagles frolicked with sufficient aerial antics to keep the ducks and shorebirds moving around.  Eventually they all came into view including 13 Green-winged Teal, 2 Pectoral Sandpipers, 9 Long-billed Dowitchers, Least and Western Sandpipers, and 4 Semipalmated Plovers.  Pectoral Sandpiper is very rare anywhere in the Interior (Lehman’s District I) of the county.  The White Pelican count is up to 16.  I think I’ve been mis-identifying a brown falcon that has blasted over the mudflats in 3 of my last 4 trips to Cachuma.  Now I think it may be a juvenile Prairie Falcon, perhaps the offspring from the breeding event this summer one mile east of here at Live Oak Camp.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S119484300

I then shifted west to Jackrabbit Flat where Savannah Sparrows were very common – 50+ of them.  A Merlin, 2 Rock Wren, and a probable Brewer’s Sparrow were also present.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S119484290

Mark Holmgren

San Marcos Pass