[eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert <daily>

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Black-chinned Hummingbird (3 reports)
- Broad-winged Hawk (3 reports)
- Lewis's Woodpecker (3 reports)
- Townsend's Solitaire (1 report)
- Brewer's Sparrow (3 reports)
- Chestnut-sided Warbler (7 reports)
- Blackpoll Warbler (1 report)

Black-chinned Hummingbird (Archilochus alexandri) (1)
- Reported Sep 26, 2022 13:11 by Jeremy Cowan
- 7402 - 7418 Hollister Ave (Tech Park Tipus), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4303818,-119.8908561&ll=34.4303818,-119.8908561
- Comments: "Observed hovering around the sprinkler, photos tba. Juvenile"

Black-chinned Hummingbird (Archilochus alexandri) (1)
- Reported Sep 26, 2022 13:11 by Alex Castelein
- 7402 - 7418 Hollister Ave (Tech Park Tipus), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4303818,-119.8908561&ll=34.4303818,-119.8908561
- Comments: "Observed hovering around the sprinkler, photos tba. Juvenile"

Black-chinned Hummingbird (Archilochus alexandri) (1)
- Reported Sep 26, 2022 13:11 by Max Laubstein
- 7402 - 7418 Hollister Ave (Tech Park Tipus), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4303818,-119.8908561&ll=34.4303818,-119.8908561
- Comments: "Observed hovering around the sprinkler, photos tba. Juvenile"

Broad-winged Hawk (Buteo platypterus) (1)
- Reported Sep 26, 2022 15:45 by Joan Lentz
- Bella Vista Dr overlook, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4495182,-119.5820028&ll=34.4495182,-119.5820028
- Comments: "Flying almost directly over our heads as we viewed what must've been a juvenile because it was very white underneath and showed the black wing-tips in contrast. A small buteo soaring and heading to tje south east. I've seen Broad-wings in SB county but it's been a long drought! Not seen one in ages."

Broad-winged Hawk (Buteo platypterus) (1)
- Reported Sep 26, 2022 13:05 by Steve Colwell
- Bella Vista Dr overlook, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4495182,-119.5820028&ll=34.4495182,-119.5820028
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Soaring high along the ridge. First spotted it above the ridge to the NW, then it disappeared behind trees and hill, and appeared again above the ridge to the NE. I was surprised to see that it has a somewhat white rump area so was fooling me into thinking it was a Cooper's/SsHa at first."

Broad-winged Hawk (Buteo platypterus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 25, 2022 11:29 by Linda Blue
- Bella Vista Dr overlook, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4495182,-119.5820028&ll=34.4495182,-119.5820028
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "A juvenile seen soaring over the ridge to the north of the Bella Vista Drive Overlook at 11:43 AM. It circled twice before continuing eastward. Light below with a dark head and faint streaking on the chest, light underwings with black wingtips and a narrow dark border on the trailing edges, and a light tail with narrow indistinct bands and a wider subterminal band."

Lewis's Woodpecker (Melanerpes lewis) (20) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 26, 2022 09:40 by Spencer Seale
- 7343 Shepard Mesa Rd, Carpinteria US-CA (34.4029,-119.4690), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.402888,-119.468969&ll=34.402888,-119.468969
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Minimum - hard to get accurate count. Large flock flying west between Gobernador Canyon Rd and Shepard Mesa Tank. Crow-like flight, but with more bouncing and gliding. Pale collar with reddish breast and head. Distant photos."

Lewis's Woodpecker (Melanerpes lewis) (4)
- Reported Sep 26, 2022 15:45 by Joan Lentz
- Bella Vista Dr overlook, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4495182,-119.5820028&ll=34.4495182,-119.5820028
- Comments: "While watching for hawks on Bella Vista we saw 4 Lewis's Woodpeckers flying above us to the West. It was pretty shocking to see them, but we know this is an irruptive year for them."

Lewis's Woodpecker (Melanerpes lewis) (33) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 25, 2022 11:29 by Linda Blue
- Bella Vista Dr overlook, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4495182,-119.5820028&ll=34.4495182,-119.5820028
- Comments: "We saw two different large flocks of Lewis's Woodpeckers moving westward along the ridge above the Bella Vista Drive Overlook: a flock of 12 at 12:03 PM, and then a flock of 21 at 12:40 PM for a total of 33 birds. Although superficially resembling crows from a distance, they showed some gray, and flew in a tighter flock with slower and deeper wingbeats and frequent glides. Unfortunately they were too distant to discern detailed colors. This is very near the location where Nick Lethaby observed 15 Lewis's Woodpeckers on October 2 of last year. This unexpected sighting fits into news that Wes Fritz just noted that this seems to be a high flight year for Lewis’ Woodpeckers, with large flocks in the Central Valley/Chico area and many other reports, too."

Townsend's Solitaire (Myadestes townsendi) (1)
- Reported Sep 26, 2022 15:37 by Scot Pipkin
- Santa Barbara Botanic Garden, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4567922,-119.710266&ll=34.4567922,-119.710266
- Comments: "Medium thrush feeding on summer holly berries adjacent to Arbor (Grape) Terrace, southwest of courtyard/library. Clear eye ring. Buffy wing patches made clearer when wings extended. Long-tailed with white on outer retrices. All seen bare eyes. When I pulled binoculars out, the bird flew determinedly to the north. Could not re-find"

Brewer's Sparrow (Spizella breweri) (1)
- Reported Sep 26, 2022 11:20 by Mark Holmgren
- Cachuma Lake - Jackrabbit Flat, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.57313,-119.94765&ll=34.57313,-119.94765
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "There is some room for doubt about this identification, but it was a Spizella. My view was not fully satisfying and my photo attempts were in adequate. Probably Brewer's due to white eyering, lack of buffy color on breast, streaking from crown through nape to back. It could also be Clay-colored Sparrow."

Brewer's Sparrow (Spizella breweri) (3)
- Reported Sep 26, 2022 17:18 by Lori Gaskin
- Elings Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4098484,-119.7349691&ll=34.4098484,-119.7349691
- Media: 6 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing as reported in this locale. Three highly cooperative Brewer’s Sparrows in the fennel patch to the southeast of the rock bench. Pale eye ring; pink small bill with black tip; light gray wash on breast; pink legs; noticeably forked tail."

Brewer's Sparrow (Spizella breweri) (2)
- Reported Sep 26, 2022 07:31 by Steve Colwell
- Elings Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4098484,-119.7349691&ll=34.4098484,-119.7349691
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing. Despite the occasional dog walker, kept returning to the low shrubs about a foot off the ground between the stone bench and the nearby bike jump to the northeast. Can be spotted from a distance once you know what to look for, as is kind of halfway, in appearance and behavior, between Lesser Goldfinches and House Finches: it's small like the LeGo but brown like the HoFi; and where the LeGo tend to sit high in the scrubby stalks, and the HoFi are often on the ground, the BrSp tended to be low in the scrubby stalks interspersed with occasional ground visits. Quite acrobatic, leaping around within the scrub."

Chestnut-sided Warbler (Setophaga pensylvanica) (1)
- Reported Sep 26, 2022 13:11 by Max Laubstein
- 7402 - 7418 Hollister Ave (Tech Park Tipus), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4303818,-119.8908561&ll=34.4303818,-119.8908561
- Comments: "Formative male/basic female type (I would think more likely the former simply due to the abundance of HY birds passing through this time of year) continuing from this morning at the NE corner of the euc grove. Spent most of its time in the eucalyptus, dipped down shortly to bathe in the leaky sprinkler there. Edit, Alex’s photos show narrow pointed retrices and fairly well defined black back streaking which point towards a formative/HY male"

[...]

- Reported Sep 26, 2022 11:35 by Dawn Hovey
- 7402 - 7418 Hollister Ave (Tech Park Tipus), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4303818,-119.8908561&ll=34.4303818,-119.8908561
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing bird first reported by Nick Lethaby this morning. It was on a eucalyptus on the eastern edge of the eucalyptus grove."

Chestnut-sided Warbler (Setophaga pensylvanica) (1)
- Reported Sep 26, 2022 11:35 by Steve Hovey
- 7402 - 7418 Hollister Ave (Tech Park Tipus), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4303818,-119.8908561&ll=34.4303818,-119.8908561
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing bird first reported by Nick Lethaby this morning. It was on a eucalyptus on the eastern edge of the eucalyptus grove."

Chestnut-sided Warbler (Setophaga pensylvanica) (1)
- Reported Sep 26, 2022 08:23 by Linda Blue
- 7402 - 7418 Hollister Ave (Tech Park Tipus), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4303818,-119.8908561&ll=34.4303818,-119.8908561
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Fall-plumaged bird with bright yellow-green crown, gray face, white eyering, gray underparts and chestnut along the flanks."

Chestnut-sided Warbler (Setophaga pensylvanica) (1)
- Reported Sep 26, 2022 08:23 by David Blue
- 7402 - 7418 Hollister Ave (Tech Park Tipus), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4303818,-119.8908561&ll=34.4303818,-119.8908561
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Fall-plumaged bird with bright yellow-green crown, gray face, white eyering, gray underparts and chestnut along the flanks."

Blackpoll Warbler (Setophaga striata) (1)
- Reported Sep 26, 2022 14:45 by Dika Golovatchoff
- Orpet Park and Riviera Business Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4382656,-119.7047755&ll=34.4382656,-119.7047755
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Prominent wing bars, short tail with long white UnTC, orange legs, yellow wash on chest with very pale streaks. Eyeline prominent, with broken eyering.."