Santa Cruz Island

Mike Stiles

I spent the 12th through the 15th March on Santa Cruz Island with the Predatory Bird Research Group. I could take a few pages to talk about the majesty of the island, but I'll stick to bird highlights.

Island Scrub Jays were everywhere...a pretty common bird on the island and a lifer for me. I had singing Grasshopper Sparrows on the east end, a pair of Western Kingbirds on the far west end, singing Wilson's Warblers, Northern Saw-Whet Owls calling everywhere at night, and the local Red-tailed Hawks, Cooper's Hawks, American Kestrels, Bald Eagles (we never did see a Golden Eagle, the reason the group is on the island, but in our defense, it was pretty foggy that weekend), Rock and Bewick's Wrens, Orange-crowned Warblers, Spotted Towhees, etc. Northern Flickers were everywhere, one of the most common sightings on the place.

Of course, I took good looks at everything in anticipation of any splits that may occur after DNA testing.

Mike Stiles
Los Osos, CA
mstiles@...